Sunday, September 11, 2011

Watch them Grow

A little late in starting this, but thought perhaps it would help me reflect on what was and what is to come.  It may help others to see where the mom of a missionary is coming from.  So here is a little about where I'm coming from.

I'm the mother of a son who chose the path of following a plan he feels God has put in front of him.  He is one of 4 children and is the  youngest child.  All of my children have made me proud!  They are all attending church and God is leading them through their own paths.  I am so proud of all my children.  Nick seems to be the one that once upon a time, was going to be the one who stayed near home and take care of mom and dad in their old age when he grew up, while the other 3 couldn't wait to move out of the neighborhood.  God had other plans.  The other 3 are within less than a mile from  home and Nick is in Ukraine serving God's call.  
I think it was in May 2011 that Nick first stated to me he was considering applying for an internship with the General Board of Global Missions.  I had so many questions, the main question being "WHAT? What internship?  They have an internship program?  How does it work?"
Well, trying to be a cool mom I had to do some leg work to get my answers and not seem to be so ignorant of what was available for my son to follow God's path with.  God said "no you don't, you don't have time".  Nick sent me information that had to be completed and submitted in a very short span of time.  I was literally thrown into it.  The forms Nick sent that had to be sent in basically stated the deadline for the 3 year internship had passed.  Nick wanted the 3 year and not the US2.  I was thinking he would be disappointed, but perhaps that was within God's will to show him his boundries in life.  What an awakening to me that God said, "Um...that was not my deadline, here he is." The deadline was extended, when he went to NY for the interview he went in with them thinking he was coming in as a US2.  Little did they know God had other plans.
Nick was chosen for the 3 year internship.  That meant he would be in a foreign country 18 months serving as an intern in God's mission.  Then he would return to serve 18 months in the USA as an intern in God's mission.  What I heard was, my baby was going to be out of my reach of being able to protect him for 18 months in a 2nd or 3rd world country and my faith had to be solely planted in God that he was where God wanted him to be.  But God was saying more to me.  He was saying, "I've told you all along he was Mine, now watch him grow in My way.  Show me the faith you've proclaimed.  Show me your sincerity from where you dedicated all of your children to My service."
It's taken me a while to realize this was what God was saying to me, but now I get it.  Each of my children were dedicated to God when they were young.  On a personal and on a public level.  Yes, I'm still growing in Christ and I'm still learning about what God has said before and what it actually meant.  Sometimes He speaks to us and we can't hear it for years!!!
There's much more to this story, it's getting late so I'll try to pick it up later.  Just remember, God is always in control!  Even if we don't think He is, He is ALWAYS in control!


No comments:

Post a Comment